Thursday, February 21, 2013

Miserere Dominus, Meleagris mortuus est!

So, Dana decided that I need to experience something of what you encounter during thanksgiving. Namely, the turkey! Not the country, though it would be awesome if they invaded every year or so to say "thanks!". So, the process of making a turkey is something in between a grinding slow process and an oddly sensual one too.



First you spend a couple of day thawing it by gently pouring water over it every 30 minutes for the 2-4 days (depending on size). Then you gently fist the turkey to remove the package of gizzards and the neck from inside. Then you spend a whole day cooking it and preparing the sides. Our thanksgiving was a small and cosy ordeal with only a few sides.

Since I'm the only male figure in the house, I got to be the one carving it, since that falls upon the male figure of the American home. And I can tell you I felt my testosterone surge and hair start growing on my chest as I mercilessly slaughtered the already dead turkey. I'm just a bit worried about how my lesbian friends handle the carving of turkeys. Do they invite a male friend over? Is there a turkey carving service for lesbians or single mothers to call? It's just one of these mysteries I guess I'll never get answered.



We started the actual cooking at 3pm, and started eating at 11pm. So it took a little while longer than we anticipated, but it was good eating and I can see why Americans are thankful for it. So, in American tradition I too have to thank the turkey and tell it that it's death served me well. Thank you turkey. Thurkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment