Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I met popeye!

Field trip! Field trip! Field trip!

My beautiful host Dana and her dorky hat


Dana and I headed to Milwaukee to see the arts museum there. It is an awesome building to be sure. The building's architecture is really awesome and unique, both inside and outside. Sadly, we did not have the time to see any of the exhibits since we got out a bit late and the museum was about to close. So instead we just wandered around the locale. Afterwards I took Dana out for sushi and spent a ridiculous amount of monies on dead fish.
Milwaukee Art Museum

We walked around the area with the Sushi shack for a bit and Dana showed me the places she used to visit when she was in college. The Mount Mary college. I can't see how that name could be interpreted as something dirty, can you? No, nay, nopes.
Inside the museum

We went into a pub to get a beer or two when we met a really strange and totally awesome older man. He instantly started talking to us and when he learned I was from Sweden he started telling Swedish jokes he heard from the Norwegians during the Second World War. He was a dog fighter who was stationed in England during the war and explained a whole lot about strategies and the things he would do to evade the Germans. Then he explained that once he came back to the US he became a voice actor and said he was the last voice for Popeye. He gave us a few examples and then showed some really impressive impersonation of old famous people, as he presented them to Walt Disney when he met him. First a few animals, then a really good Churchill. Everyone passing in and out of the pub, and passing by us greeted the old man as "Popeye", so he is a local celebrity. And to be honest, I'm not sure if he is telling the truth, but I don't want to research it. I want to believe I met Popeye!
Inside the museum

No comments:

Post a Comment