Monday, March 11, 2013

Cox Rocks!

Last weekend Dana and I decided to have an outing in Chicago. I found out that Carl Cox was playing at The Mid, and the both of us were like giggling school children over a book of anatomy. So we went to her condo in Chicago, dropped off some stuff, and then got going. Once we got there, we realized I had no identification. My Passport was either still in the condo, or perhaps Wisconsin! So we grabbed another cab back to the condo, found the passport and then headed back to the club. Each trip about $20 plus tips. Ugh, my cheeks are still red when I think about it. Bleh, that I would pass for under 21 is beyond me.

The party is on!


So we got in! Had a drink, had two had... more and lost count! Danced and even socialized with people. I've never been to a dance floor that packed before. To be honest, the grow-up part of me screamed "fire hazard". It was a bit scary. But once Cox got on stage everything turned from 'whee' to 'wooooh'. He really had the whole audience at his fingertips and bent the dance floor to his will with a mixture of live performance and really skilful DJing.

Carl Cox going at it!

 The giggling pair got out of the club at about 3 and harassed a poor taxi driver ("We're not inebriated sir *giggle, giggle*, honest! *giggle, giggle* Why would you suggest such a thing? *giggle, gilggle*"). He was a good sport about it though. I guess he had his fair share of... happy customers.

The day after the effects of what can only be the loud music was felt. Too much bass gives you headache, and I'm pretty sure that the drinks had nothing to do with it. Dana and I spend a slow morning eating some take away until we felt better and then headed into Chicago, towards The Loop. We missed the first train (it was so close we could touch it as we ran up to it). The second train took off without us realizing that it even let people onboard, but we caught the third train and made our way to the art museum where we met up with one of Dana's friends.

The exhibit we were seeing was "Picasso and Chicago", with a number of paintings, screen prints and sculptures by collectors from Chicago and the Chicago region. It was very interesting, since you got to see a whole lot of paintings you had never seen before. Famous paintings can be fun to see for real, but it is really all the other paintings that tell the story of how those famous ones came to be. And as we all know "the goal is nothing, the way there is everything".

Dana is scrutinizing the painting


After the museum visit we went to a restaurant called Japonice for Japanese food. We went for sushi of course. And it was among the most tasty sushi I ever had. I got one "California Roll", one "Yellow Tail Roll" and one "Crispy Shrimp Roll". While the first two rolls were "merely" good. The Shrimp roll was glorious. But what really made the restaurant worth it was the desert. Japanese Cheesecake.

Japanese pumpkin cheesecake. I have made it my mission to try lots of different cheesecakes while here in the states. But this one was the best. It was served in a 10cm in diameter circular bowl, about 8 cm tall. The bottom layer was mushy cracker (about half a centimetre). The second layer was cake so soft and moist it was almost like thick whipped cream in consistency, and lasted for about 6cm. The last two centimetres was the actual cheesecake, which was soft and fluffy like the cake, and seasoned with 5 different spices. It all melted in my mouth and at the first bite I was speechless and out of breath, almost gasping, caught between wanting to savour the taste, and calling out to Dana to try (in the end I was selfish and ate it all myself). The number of tastes really transported me elsewhere. If you have seen the movie Perfume, where the main character makes that really good perfume for the shop owner, which makes him see a beautiful woman who kisses him and says 'I love you', you know what sort of feeling I was experiencing with this cheesecake.

No comments:

Post a Comment